RIDOH: COVID-19 TESTING INFORMATION FOR SCHOOLS
RIDOH has developed a COVID-19 Testing Program for all RI PK-12 public and private school students, faculty and staff who have been identified as a close contact of a positive case, or are a classmate of a positive case. Services are available in multiple languages.
IF YOUR CHILD HAS SYMPTOMS:
- Please keep all children home from school
- Report symptoms to the school nurse to determine if COVID-19 testing is needed
- Email the school nurse if illness occurs outside of school hours
- Communication is important to ensure contact tracing if there is a positive case
- Please complete the AFTER- ILLNESS ATTESTATION FORM and send it to the school nurse when your child is ready to return to school
IF YOUR CHILD OR SOMEONE IN YOUR FAMILY IS TESTED FOR COVID-19:
- All children must stay home from school pending testing results
- Rapid test results are usually available within hours
- PCR (final) test results are usually available in 2-3 days
- Household contacts must remain quarantined until all test results are confirmed negative
- Please provide the school nurse with a copy of your child’s PCR test results and the AFTER- ILLNESS ATTESTATION FORM
BPS QUARANTINE REQUIREMENTS FOR CLOSE CONTACTS:
- On 12/10/20 Governor Raimondo issued an executive order that allows for three different quarantine options for close contacts
- RIDOH does not dictate which options schools/districts should choose to implement
- As of 02/01/21, BPS has shortened the required quarantine after exposure to COVID-19 to 10 days
- A negative COVID-19 PCR test is required on day 8 or later
- BPS does not accept a negative COVID-19 test in lieu of the 10 day quarantine
TRAVEL QUARANTINE INFORMATION:
- BPS requires a 14 day quarantine period after all international travel and a 10 quarantine for travel to any state with a COVID-19 positivity rate of greater than 5%. The list of states can be found HERE.
- A negative COVID-19 test (rapid or PCR) is required on day 8 or later
- BPS does not accept a negative COVID-19 test in lieu of quarantine.
- If you are planning to travel, please notify your building principal or school nurse.
FIND MORE INFORMATION FOR RI SCHOOLS IN THE UPDATED PLAYBOOK. PLEASE SPEAK TO THE SCHOOL NURSE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AS OUR DISTRICT PLAN MAY VARY.